Are you planning a trip to Croatia? Then you should familiarize yourself with the basic phrases in the language of this country! Croatian language is very interesting, and some greetings resemble those in Polish. Remember that learning a language is always a valuable experience!
While in large resorts people speak English freely, in small towns the local community will greet you with the words: Dobrodošli!
Let's start with the basics
Croatian is a phonetic language, that is, we read as the word is written. However, it is worth knowing the pronunciation of typically Croatian letters: č - we read like "ch" in "charter", š - like sh, and ž - like "j" in "journalist”.
- I understand - Razumijem
- I do not understand - Ne razumijem
- Yes - Da
- No - Ne
- Maybe - Možda
- I don't know - Ne znam
How do I say hello in Croatian?
- Hello - Zdravo, Bok, Chao
- Welcome - Dobrodošli
- Good morning (morning) - Dobro jutro
- Good morning (afternoon) - Dobar dan
- Good evening - Dobra večer
- Good night - Laku noć
- Goodbye - Zbogom, Doviđenja
- All the best - Sretno
How to ask and apologize in Croatian?
- Sorry - Oprostite! Ispričavam se! Žao mi je.
- Please - Molim
- Please (when we serve something) - Izvoli
- Thank you - Hvala. Hvala lijepa
- Reply to "thank you”, You are welcome - Nema na čemu
Basic Croatian dialogues
We have also prepared some extensive phrases for you to help you communicate with the local Croatian community. Try to learn a few of them and you will surely surprise the Croatians!
- How are you - Kako ste? (formally)
- How are you - Kako si? (informally)
- I'm fine, thank you - Dobro sam, hvala
- What time is it - Koliko eats sati?
- What's your name - Kako se zoveš? (informally)
- What is your name - Kako se zovete? (formally)
- My name is - Zovem se ...
- Nice to meet you - Drago eats me
- Where are you from - Odakle si? (informally)
- Where are you from - Odakle ste? (formally)
- I am from ... - I myself and with …
- As you say ... in Croatian - Kako se kaže ..... na hrvatskom?
- How much does it cost - Koliko eats it? Koliko ovo košta?
- Where is the toilet - Gdje je zahod?
- Would you like to dance with me - Bi li htio plesati sa mnom?
- Would you like to dance with me - Bi li htjela plesati sa mnom
- Cheers - Živjeli! Uzdravlje!
- Bon appétit - Dobar tek!
- Happy journey - Sretan put!
Croatian phrasebook in a shop and restaurant
You will definitely have the opportunity to try local products at small markets or to admire Croatian cuisine in restaurants. Below we have compiled the basic phrases that may be useful to you in these places.
- I would like a kilo / half a kilo - Molim kilo / pola kilo
- How much do I pay? - Koliko plaćam?
- Can I have the menu, please? - Mogu li pogledati jelovnik?
- I am a vegetarian - Ja sam vegetarijanac
- Without sugar - Bez šećera
- Dry / sweet - Suho / sweet
- Red / white wine - Vino crno / bijelo
- Takeaway - Odnijeti
- Invoice - Račun
- Can I pay by credit card - Može li se platiti kreditnom karticom?
- I liked it (food) - Bilo je u kusno
Other useful phrases
- Fire - Požar!
- Leave me alone - Pustite me na miru!
- For help - U pomoć!
- Stop - Stani!
- Store - Dućan
- Exchange office - Mjenjačnica
- Pharmacy - Ljekarna
We are sure that the above Croatian dictionary and phrasebook will help you during your travels in Croatia. Knowing just a few of them will make you feel more comfortable communicating with local people!